Nahargarh Fort- Jaipur
About Nahargarh Fort
One amongst the three fort constructed by the rulers of
Jaipur, the Nahargarh Fort has its own significant place in history.
Built by Sawai Raja Jai Singh in the year 1734 and located on the
asperous Aravalli hills, the Nahargarh Fort was required to strengthen
the protective coverage of Amber, the capital of the earlier rulers of
Jaipur. Further extension and expansion work was done in the fort by
later rulers and it is these additions that today hold the attention
of the tourists. The original old structures have been hugely affected
by the passage of time.
Nahargarh Fort has an interesting anecdote attached to its construction. It is said that the fort was haunted by a spirit of a prince called Nahar. He made sure that an impediment occurred every time the construction of the fort progressed smoothly. Eventually, a tantrik prayed to the spirit of the prince who assented to leave only on the condition that the fort was named after him.
The Fort, which is also known as the Tiger Fort, is reached by a walk past the streets at the base followed by a 2 km trek up the towering hill. On the top of the hill, the beautiful Man Sagar Lake spreads a welcoming glance. Right in the middle of the lake, Raja Jai Singh II built a duck blind, a shelter for screening duck hunters, for his shooting parties.
Inside the Nahargarh Fort
The prime attraction of the Nahargarh Fort is the Madhavendra
Bhavan which was the summer retreat of the royal family. The
structure was built by Sawai Ram Singh II in 1880s and boasts of 12
completely alike suites for the use of queens. The suite of the king
was constructed at a convenient place so that he could visit his
queens without any hassles. The rooms are linked with each other by
means of corridors and have beautiful frescoes inside. There are also
toilets and kitchen hearths in this pleasure palace.
This pleasure palace is one of the most loved picnic spot today. Durg cafeteria is located just above the entrance and provides refreshment for the tourists. The Padao restaurant situated in the western part is open only in the evenings and sells drinks to its customers.
The Nahargarh Fort in contrast to the other forts of Rajasthan is neither very massive nor very crowded. As such it offers a perfect retreat for all those who wish to spend some quiet moments with themselves. The tranquility offered by the fort draws many tourists from far and wide.
|Built In:||1734 AD|
|Built By:||Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II|
|Renovated By:||Sawai Ram Singh in 1868|
|Managed By:||Government of Rajasthan|
|Visiting Hours:||10 AM to 5 PM, everyday|