Birla Temple Jaipur
About Birla Temple
The Birla Temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu and Goddess
Laxmi is yet another major attraction in the Pink city of Jaipur. The
temple is situated at the foot of Moti Dungri Fort and is built by the
famous and affluent business family of Birlas. The Birlas have built
many other temples across the country. The land on which the temple
stands was given to the Birla family by a Maharaja on a token sum of
just one rupee.
The construction of the temple took place during the year 1988. Today, it reflects the secular ethos of India with its three domes representing varied approaches to religion. The architectural beauty of the temple is worth appreciating. Knowledgeable and English speaking guides are available to take the tourists around and explain to them the various aspect of the temple architecture as well as Hinduism.
The temple, being a sacred place, is always thronged by devotees. Infact it is very difficult to find the temple absolutely vacant at any point of time during the day. During festivals, the number of devotees multiply to a greater number
The temple built in white marble is highly revered
place of worship for Hindus. From outside itself, sculptures on
numerous mythological themes and images of saints catch the attention
of the visitors. Images of Socrates, Zarathustra, Christ, Buddha and
Confucius manifest the secular nature of the temple.
The image of Ganesh, the protector of households, over the beam at the entrance is considered immensely auspicious. The interiors boasts of a large panel of marble depicting mythological proceedings. Numerous images of Hindu deities can also be found inside the temple. The deities are housed in the sanctum sanctorum. The images of Lakshmi Narayan is sculpted out of a single piece of marble.
In close proximity of the temple is a small museum that displays the household products and objects of the Birla family. The museum is open everyday from 0800 hrs to 1200 hrs and then from 1600 hrs to 2000 hrs. There is no entry fee to visit the museum.