City Palace Alwar, Rajasthan
Constructed by Maharana Vinay Singh in the 18th century, a major part of the City Palace complex houses the Government offices. The building reflects a combination of Mughal and Rajput architecture and surprisingly has no stairs to lead up to higher floors. Rather, there are inclining corridors that facilitate those desirous of exploring the upper floors. The Sheesh Mahal studded with mirrors is definitely worth visiting once. The City palace complex also houses a museum within its premises which displays some of the best collections of Mughal and Rajput paintings. Some rare manuscript in Persian, Arabic, Urdu and Sanskrit form an intrinsic part of the museum collection too. Prominent manuscript include Gulistan (the garden of roses), Waqiat-I-Babri (autobiography of the Mughal Emperor Babar) and Boston (the garden of spring). A collection of armoury is a huge attraction in the museum which is open from 10:00 hrs. to 17:00 hrs (closed on Fridays and gazetted holidays. Free entry on Monday). Behind the palace, a lake with few temples and a gorgeous chhatri (Moosi Maharani ka Chhatri) is visited quiet ofetn by the visitors
This enormous fort atop a hill (1000 feet) consists of 51 small towers and 446 openings for musketry. The rampart of the fort extends 5 km from north to south and 1.6 km east to west. The fort was constructed by Nikumbha Rajputs and is one of those few forts that were built before the rise of the Mughals. Today, the fort is in need of some repairs to restore its old glory. Entry is only allowed after a permission is sought from the Superintendent of Police at his office in City Palace complex.
Also known as the company garden, the Purjan Garden was laid down by Maharaja Shiv Dan Singh in 1868. The garden boasts of an area where temperature normally remains lower than other places throughout the year. This place was built by Mangal Singh in 1885 AD. There is another Moosi Maharani ka Chhatri located here.
Around 10 km from Alwar is the beautiful Vijay Mandir Palace. The place was constructed by Majaraja Jai Singh in the 1918 AD and has a splendid temple dedicated to Lord Ram and Sita. The temple becomes a centre of attraction during the festival of Ramnavmi. Prior permission needs to be obtained from the secretary to visit the palace.
This lake is 6 km from the city of Alwar and was constructed by Jai Singh in 1910 AD. After a good rain, the entire area blooms with lush greenery and hence becomes a popular spot for picnic and outings.
This sanctuary hogs most of the attention of the incoming tourists with its large variety of flora and fauna. The tigers of the park are the prime attraction though other animals have a more commanding presence.
Situated on the edges of the town, this palace was built in the year 1882 and served as the main residence of the Maharajas of Alwar. However, in 1928, Maharaja Jai Singh, with an intention of building a better palace got in demolished. The new palace never got built since the cargo carrying raw materials from Europe sunk. The palace with its ruins bears a desolated look today.
Once a hunting lodge for the royal family of Maharaja of Alwar, the Sariska Palace has today emerged as one of the prime accommodation option for tourists to Sariska sanctuary. The wild encounter of the tourists is combined with a regal splendour. Almost perfect for anyone desiring adventure and leisure simultaneously.